As it happened, I was midway through editing this post when the sad news about Philip Seymour Hoffman came down. Like so many of you, I was both shocked and saddened. His career had come so far in such a short time, I believed that we were seeing the beginning of something…never that we would so quickly witness its end. As I thought about Seymour Hoffman and his amazing body of work, my brain soon drifted to the part he plays in my all-time favorite film.
The rather crucial part he plays in my all-time favorite film.
So I thought it fitting that The Matineecast mourn Philip by starting this episode with a beautiful moment of his from that film. They are words to live by, and while they might have originally been Lester Bangs’, or Cameron Crowe’s, they are also – in so many ways – Phil Seymour Hoffman’s.
Here’s what’s in store in episode one-hundred-and-five…
Up for Discussion
2. KNOW YOUR ENEMY– Q& A with this week’s guest Rick Sandlas (3:51)
3. COME TALK TO ME – Fielding some listener feedback on family dinners they’d rather skip. (14:36)
4. THE NEW SLANG – Review and reaction to AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY (28:00)
5. THE OTHER SIDE – Ric couples GRAN TORINO (51:37)
6. THE OTHER SIDE – Ryan couples CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (63:07)
Comments and feedback are welcome, and thank-you very much for listening.